President Trump Spirals over Seth Meyers' Late
President Donald Trump hasn't eased up on his criticism of late-night comedy, most recently attacking Late Night with Seth Meyers
Trump took to social media overnight to slam NBC for extending Meyers' contract, even though the renewal was reported in May of last year
"He has no Ratings, Talent, or Intelligence, and the Personality of an insecure child," the president wrote at 1:56 a.m. local time
Donald Trump continued his vendetta against late-night hosts on Wednesday, Aug. 27, this time setting his sights on Seth Meyers.
The president aired his frustration with Meyers in a 1:56 a.m. Truth Social post, writing, "There is a sick rumor going around that Fake News NBC extended the contract of one of the least talented Late Night television hosts out there, Seth Meyers."
"He has no Ratings, Talent, or Intelligence, and the Personality of an insecure child," Trump, 79, continued. "So, why would Fake News NBC extend this dope’s contract. I don’t know, but I’ll definitely be finding out!!!"
The timing of Trump's overnight rant came as a surprise, since Deadline already reported back in May 2024 that NBC had renewed Meyers' contract through 2028.
PEOPLE reached out to NBC for comment about Trump's post.
Related Stories
Trump Claims That Jimmy Kimmel and Jimmy Fallon Will Be Ousted as Hosts. He Might Be Right About One of Them
Donald Trump Claims 'a Lot of' Americans Are Saying They Want a Dictator
Like most late-night hosts, Meyers, 51, regularly takes shots at Trump on Late Night With Seth Meyers. Last week, he mocked the White House for hosting a meeting between the presidents of Azerbaijan and Armenia in the Oval Office.
"Oh my god, he wants a Nobel Peace Prize so bad, he's just going through countries alphabetically!" Meyers quipped.
The president's latest outburst comes a month after he gleefully celebrated the cancellation of The Late Show with Stephen Colbert.
On July 17, Stephen Colbert made the shocking announcement that the No. 1-rated late-night show was being canceled by CBS after more than 30 years.
The timing prompted speculation about whether or not politics were involved in the decision, as Colbert had just used his platform to slam CBS' parent company, Paramount, for courting favor with Trump by agreeing to donate millions toward his future presidential library.
Meanwhile, Paramount was also in the midst of a merger with entertainment company Skydance at the time — a deal that required approval from the Trump administration.
Our new app is here! Free, fun and full of exclusives. Scan to download now!
In a statement from CBS shared with PEOPLE, the network said their decision to end The Late Show — which consistently ranks first in its time slot and, days earlier, received its ninth Emmy nomination for Outstanding Talk Series — was "purely a financial decision against a challenging backdrop in late night."
The network added that the cancellation was "not related in any way to the show’s performance, content or other matters happening at Paramount."
Never miss a story — sign up for PEOPLE's free daily newsletter to stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer, from celebrity news to compelling human interest stories.
Then, on July 22, the president took to his Truth Social account, claiming, "The word is, and it’s a strong word at that, Jimmy Kimmel is NEXT to go in the untalented Late Night Sweepstakes and, shortly thereafter, [Jimmy] Fallon will be gone."
"These are people with absolutely NO TALENT, who were paid Millions of Dollars for, in all cases, destroying what used to be GREAT Television," he wrote. "It’s really good to see them go, and I hope I played a major part in it!"
Related Stories
Jimmy Kimmel Says He Secured Italian Citizenship amid Public Feud with Donald Trump
Jimmy Kimmel and Family Team Up to Slam Trump, Who Warned That Kimmel's Late-Night Show Might Be Canceled Next
Trump's latest social media diatribe came hours after his surprising reaction to the news of Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce's engagement.
"I wish them a lot of luck," the president said during a Cabinet meeting on Tuesday. "I think he's a great player and a great guy, and I think she's a terrific person, so I wish them a lot of luck."
The warm response was unexpected, given that Trump has repeatedly been critical of Swift, posting all-caps rants about her on his Truth Social page, seemingly in response to the singer publicly backing Democratic candidates in the last two presidential elections.
"Just look at Woke singer Taylor Swift," he wrote in a post on Aug. 4. "Ever since I alerted the world as to what she was by saying on TRUTH that I can’t stand her (HATE!). She was booed out of the Super Bowl and became, NO LONGER HOT."